Parents share a lesson about popcorn after their toddler was admitted into surgery


In 2019, a two-year-old nearly d.i.e.d after he developed aspiration pneumonia after eating popcorn and his mom shared his experience with other parents.

Nash Goddard choked on the snack briefly on Feb. 16, but he recovered almost immediately while watching the film “Mrs. Doubtfire” with his parents, Nicole and Jake Goddard, and his two big sisters at the family’s home.

“He started making a gagging noise and Jake jumped up really fast, grabbed him, and was about to do the Heimlich on him when Nash took a breath,” Nicole, the baby’s mother, told KDVR. Jake said he was fine, and we knew he was breathing. Nothing came out, so we assumed he swallowed it.

Nash developed a “really weird” cough over the next few hours. As of Feb. 18, the little boy had a temperature of 104 degrees.

“I was watching his stomach and he was breathing really hard — like labored breathing — and I’m like, ‘That’s it, I’m taking him in,’”, Nicole said.Nash was admitted to the hospital and ordered to undergo surgery after some tests.


There was so much inflammation in her son’s left lung that he actually developed pneumonia.
One of the popcorn kernels Nash consumed on Feb. 16 lodged in his lungs and caused a bacterial infection that turned into pneumonia.

Parents say they didn’t realize children under the age of five couldn’t cough up food like popcorn and pretzels. She then posted a few pictures of Nash in the hospital on Facebook to warn other parents of the potential danger.

As Nicole wrote: “If I had not trusted my instincts and brought him in, the outcome would not have been good.”


Since the post was published, it has been shared thousands of times on Facebook.

“They’re just as bad as I was,” she said.

Sourcekdvr.comcbsnews.com


Like it? Share with your friends!

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published.