Why You Should Think Twice Before Eating Leftover Rice

Leftover rice: Why you should think twice before eating it

Because rice is filling and delicious, it is a versatile food. As a result, it is considered a staple food throughout the world. In spite of the fact that many people enjoy rice with different meals, it has been recently discovered that if not handled properly, rice makes you easily sick. The problem isn’t reheating rice, but how people store it.

Can reheating rice cause food poisoning?

Reheated rice can cause food poisoning. The problem is not the reheating, but the way the rice has been stored before it is reheated.

What are the causes of food poisoning caused by reheated rice?

Rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria that causes food poisoning. When rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

At room temperature, rice spores can grow into bacteria. Bacteria multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Leaving cooked rice at room temperature for an extended period of time increases the risk of bacteria or toxins developing and making the rice unfit for consumption.

Food poisoning signs and symptoms

After eating rice that contains Bacillus cereus bacteria, you may feel sick and experience vomiting or diarrhea 1 to 5 hours later. The symptoms are usually mild and last about 24 hours.

The safest way to store your rice

  • How to serve rice safely
  • Serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
  • If that is not possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within an hour).
  • Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
  • When you reheat rice, always check that it’s steaming hot all the way through.
  • Do not reheat rice more than once.

It is not difficult to follow the guidelines in this article. Additionally, you need to keep them in mind to ensure your health is fine. Many people get sick after eating rice, but they do not understand why. Now that you know, you have a responsibility to protect yourself and your family from the bacteria that grows on rice. When you cook your rice at the right temperature and cool it immediately after eating, you can avoid certain bacteria-related diseases.

Did you know about these risks? Tell us how you store leftover rice in the comments section. Make sure you share this article with your friends and family, it’s important to inform everyone!


Like it? Share with your friends!


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *